Version 4.7 of WordPress was released to the public on December 6, 2016. As its predecesors the newest version of WordPress was named “Vaughan” in honor of legendary jazz vocalist Sarah “Sassy” Vaughan. Check out the newest highlights.
New default theme – Twenty Seventeen
It is an aspiring theme dedicated to business websites that focuses on a creative home page and an easy site setup experience for users. Twenty Seventeen has large featured images, crisp typography, and a mobile-first approach to design. Twenty Seventeen only works on 4.7 and above.
REST API Content Endpoints
WordPress 4.7 comes with REST API endpoints for posts, comments, terms, users, meta, and settings. Content endpoints provide machine-readable external access to your WordPress site with a clear, standards-driven interface, paving the way for new and innovative methods of interacting with your site.
- Some of the toolbar buttons have been rearranged to make them easier to access and to encourage proper use of the HTML elements they insert.
- The headings drop down is moved to the top row.
- The strike-through and horizontal rule button are moved down.
- The underline and justify buttons have been removed from the bottom row.
- Labels for keyboard shortcuts have been added to the tooltips for buttons and inside drop downs to make them easier to discover.
The Tag-Cloud with the popular terms have been removed from the dashboard taxonomy pages
Improving accessibility of image alternative text – No more default fallback. To ensure your images having meaningful alternative text, you should make sure to set a value for alt text in your media library.
WordPress 4.7 has been the most active release on record for the customize component (read more).
Create pages within live preview during site setup – Add new pages while building menus and setting a static front page; outline your site directly in the customizer.
Improvements to the Sliding Panels UI
Customizer navigation is now faster, smoother, and more accessible.
Browse your site and switch themes more seamlessly within the customizer, as your changes automatically persist in the background.
Fine-tune your site and take your theme customizations to the next level with custom css in the customizer.
- Add oEmbed support for Facebook posts/activities/photo/videos/media/questions/notes.
- Add oEmbed support for Twitter profile, list, and likes.
- Using HTTPS endpoints for oEmbeds for those providers that have full HTTPS support and don’t redirect back to HTTP when clicking through from the embed.
- Get_blog_details() replaced with get_site() (#37b02
- Blog_details filter deprecated (#38491)
- _network_option actions and filters get $network_id (#38319, #38320, #38321 and #38322)
- wp_get_network() deprecated (#3753)
Pull up some sassy Sarah Vaughan on your music service of choice and start making plans for your new website built on Worpdress 4.7!